|Off-grid Electrification Consultant|
|Reporting to:||Finance Adviser||ARF Job Level and Professional Discipline Category:||N/A|
|Duration||100 days between 01/01/21 and 30/06/21||Location:||Cambodia|
The Governments of Australia and Cambodia are partnering through Investing in Infrastructure (3i), a program designed to promote and catalyse business growth in the infrastructure sector in Cambodia. The program has enabled connections to clean water and electricity for more than 1 million Cambodians and is working to encourage more investment in infrastructure through supporting resilient infrastructure policy development in Cambodia.
Since 2019 3i has broadened its support to the RGC by engaging on policy-related reforms that support improvements in the broader infrastructure sector in Cambodia, including through policies, regulation, legal and financial frameworks. Working with key government ministries, 3i is currently engaging on a range of activities including with construction standards, public-private partnerships, renewable energy planning, overall water sector planning and management, domestic finance, smart cities, water operator training and a collaboration with the Australian Water Association on technology demonstration and capacity building in the water sector.
3i is managed by Palladium on behalf of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Purpose of the Position
3i is looking for an individual Consultant to manage and implement 3i’s project to support electrification of off-grid areas in Cambodia. The project is undertaken as part of 3i’s support to the Renewable Energy Technical Working Group. The project is expected to result in development of renewable energy mini grids in Cambodia to electrify villages which are not expected to be connected to the main transmission and distribution grid in the foreseeable future. The candidate will take the lead on the day-to-day management of the project and also provide support and work with the broader team on both energy sector and 3i’s broader policy and advocacy activities.
Under the direction of Finance Adviser, the Off-grid electrification Consultant will:
- Lead 3i’s off-grid electrification project and related work. The implementation is expected to be a combination of office work and field trips, which can occur in and outside of Phnom Penh.
- Carry out detailed analysis of existing data sets of identified villages.
- Identify potential regulatory, tariff and other hurdles to the successful implementation of the project.
- Identify potential investors, technology partners and other relevant partners who may carry out the development of the target mini grids.
- Identify potential business and JV structures which will suit the requirements of the energy sector counterparts, potential investors and other partners in the project.
- Liaise with government officials to adopt the existing regulatory framework as required, and manage ongoing communications between 3i, the TWG, MME, EAC, EDC and REF, as well as other RGC agencies and other stakeholders as required for the execution of the project.
- Work closely with 3i’s project lead to identify requirements and prepare the scope of work for additional external expert support, and assist with procurement of such 3rd party support required.
- Support the management of additional human resource requirements (such as other 3i staff, short-term technical expertise and 3rd party consultants) needed to fulfil the work plan and objectives. Assist in the recruitment and selection of such resources as necessary.
- Closely monitor day-to-day activities, evaluate progress and make necessary adjustments to achieve desirable impacts.
- Support management and delivery of other work streams under the collaboration between 3i and MME and the TWG respectively to ensure high quality delivery of 3i’s support.
- Be proactive and look for opportunities in helping improve the ministry’s policy development and implementation where possible.
- Collaborate with the broader 3i team to harness existing relationships and experiences to deliver high quality results.
- Any other duties as requested by the 3i project lead.
The Off-grid Electrification Consultant will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- University degree in economics, business, engineering or equivalent.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to work with and analyze large, complex data sets.
- Financial analysis and quantitative skills, understanding of financing investment projects in the infrastructure sector.
- Ability to carry out independent research and create summary briefs on relevant topics.
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality work with input from senior managers and the broader 3i team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage and interact with c-level professionals in both government and private sector.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in Khmer and English.
- Understanding of the Cambodian energy sector and overall renewable energy development in the Greater Mekong and SEA region.
- Understanding of and experience working with Rural Electrification Enterprises including an ability to analyze and understand financial and investment aspects of such businesses.
- Experience with off-grid electrification projects in Cambodia, including the assessment, analysis and development of isolated mini-grids as well as the analysis of village-based information for assessment of electrification options.
- Experience working with Cambodian government officials including government officials in the energy sector.
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- This is a locally recruited consultancy position. All candidates with the right to work in Cambodia will be considered.
- Commencement: immediate start, preferably January 2021.
- Input: 100 days in the period 1 January 2021 – 30 June 2021. The input must not exceed this upper limit and Palladium reserves the right not to use the maximum number of days input.
- A competitive daily rate compensation will be offered to the selected candidate depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply for this position
ESSENTIAL: Applications must include:
- Cover letter.
- Curriculum vitae/resume including name and contact details (phone and email) of three referees.
Applications that do not address all the requirements stated above will not be considered.
For further information about this position
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “043 – Off-grid electrification Consultant” in the subject line.
Applications are to be emailed to email@example.com with the reference “043– Off-grid Electrification Consultant” in the subject line.
Closing date: 28 December 2020, 5.00pm Phnom Penh time. Late applications will not be considered.
Palladium is committed to child protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of our international development programs. This position may come into contact with children due to the nature of the working environment. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment and may include relevant criminal record checks.
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.