Investing in Infrastructure
Terms of Reference
Position #44: Ground Water Adviser
Investing in Infrastructure is a five year, nationwide, social investment program funded by the Australian Government and being implemented by Palladium. The program supports Piped and Treated Water and Electricity Distribution companies to expand to less viable areas.
We currently have a requirement for a Groundwater Adviser. This is an international short-term adviser (STA) position.
Some of the Piped and Treated Water Companies consider using ground water as the only viable source of water. It is easy to check availability of water, but operators have no reliable access to information on the long-term ability of the aquafers to support their business. This makes starting a water business that relies on groundwater risky.
To assist future water companies and government officials to make better investment decisions, 3i intends to fund a large study. This study should produce better guidance to water companies in these areas of Cambodia where ground water is the only viable choice.
The large study should use existing data and existing knowledge in Cambodia. There may be a need as well for new tests.
This short-term consultancy is to help 3i prepare for the larger study with main delivery a Terms of Reference for the large study.
- Advise the 3i team on the quality of the available data and the potential need and options of collecting more detailed data.
- Develop one or a combination of methodologies to assess the potential of using groundwater for water companies in those areas where ground water is the only potential viable option.
- Develop a terms of reference (ToR) for a more extensive study on the impact of using deep ground water for piped water purposes.
- Provide 3i with recommendation on potential, qualified suppliers that could undertake the task of the development of practical guidelines to inform the likelihood of groundwater to be available for 30 years.
Collect and evaluate relevant available data on the potential impact of long term use of deeper aquafers for water companies.
Evaluate the potential of collecting additional information from existing wells.
Develop methodologies to assess the potential using existing data, existing uncollected information and potentially additional research. These should include potential timelines and budgets.
Develop a comprehensive and informed terms of reference (ToR) including desired outcomes, key tasks/activities and deliverable outputs
Assist 3i in evaluating proposals submitted by interested suppliers
- Tertiary qualifications in water resource, or equivalent.
- At least ten years of proven experience in the assessment of groundwater availability (ideally in Cambodia)
- Extensive technical and practical understanding of the groundwater resource.
- Communication skills in verbal and written English.
Adviser Remuneration Framework
Discipline Group C Job Level 3, Short Term Adviser (STA)
More information about the Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF) can be found here: http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/adviser-remuneration-framework.aspx
Reports to: 3i Managing Director.
Relationships: The adviser will develop and maintain strong working relationships with managers and staff in the program management office.
Location: mix of inputs – office based work in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and home based.
Required timing and inputs: up to a maximum of 20 days commencing in late June 2018.
Duration: to be contracted to 3 September 2018.
How to apply for this position
ESSENTIAL: Applications must include:
- Response against each of the selection criteria (maximum five pages).
- Curriculum vitae/resume.
- Name and contact details (phone and email) of three referees.
- Please indicate where you saw the advertisement or how you learnt about this job vacancy.
Applications that do not address all the requirements stated above will not be considered.
For further information about this position
Email email@example.com with the reference ‘Position #44: Groundwater Adviser’ in the subject line.
Applications must be made online through http://www.thepalladiumgroup.com/jobs
Closing date: 28 May 2018, 5.00pm Phnom Penh time.
Palladium is committed to child protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of our international development programs.
Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment and may include relevant criminal record checks.