Investing in Infrastructure (3i)
Terms of Reference
Position title – Manager, Renewable Energy Activities
Investing in Infrastructure (3i) is a six year, nationwide, social investment program funded by the
Australian Government and implemented by Palladium. The program has supported more than 90 private companies to establish and expand piped clean water infrastructure, electricity networks, and small scale solar in areas where operators would not have invested by themselves. At least one million Cambodians will get access to reliable electricity and piped clean water through the support from the program.
The program has been expanding its support in policy areas to the Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC). One of its policy activities is to support the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) and the Renewable Energy Technical Working Group (TWG) chaired by MME, with EdC and EAC representatives as additional members. Specifically, 3i is looking to provide support to (i) develop and deliver Cambodia’s first Renewable Energy Strategic Plan in close cooperation with the TWG and MME; (ii) Identify additional priority work streams for the TWG; (iii) support the management, execution and implementation of additional TWG work streams; and (iv) assist in delivering 3i’s policy initiatives in the energy sector and broader infrastructure sector. 3i is looking for a mid-level Manager to support the delivery of the potential support to MME, the TWG and the RGC.
- Support management and delivery of all work streams under the collaboration between 3i and MME and the TWG respectively to ensure high quality delivery of 3i’s support.
- Develop relationships with all stakeholders involved, liaise with government officials and manage ongoing communications between 3i, the TWG, other RGC agencies, and other stakeholders as required.
- Work closely with 3i’s project lead and relevant MME and TWG staff to deliver existing work streams including the Renewable Energy Strategic Plan.
- Work closely with 3i’s project lead and relevant MME and TWG staff to identify additional priority topics in energy and renewable energy, prepare the scope of work for additional support, develop work plans, identify roles and responsibilities, assist with procurement of any 3rd party support required to execute each work stream, and implement each project. The implementation is expected to be a combination of office work and field trips, which can occur in and outside of Phnom Penh.
- Support the management of additional human resource requirements (such as other 3i staff, short-term technical expertise and 3rd party consultants) needed to fulfil the work plan and objectives. Assist in the recruitment and selection of such resources as necessary.
- Closely monitor day-to-day activities, evaluate progress and make necessary adjustments to achieve desirable impacts.
- Be proactive and look for opportunities in helping improve the ministry’s policy development and implementation where possible.
- Collaborate with the broader 3i team to harness existing relationships and experiences to deliver high quality results.
- Any other duties as requested by the 3i project lead.
- University degree in economics, business, engineering or equivalent.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage and interact with c-level professionals in both government and private sector.
- Understanding of the Cambodian energy sector and overall renewable energy development in the Greater Mekong and SEA region.
- Experience working with Cambodian government officials including government officials in the energy sector.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Financial analysis and quantitative skills, understanding of financing investment projects in the infrastructure sector.
- Ability to carry out independent research and create summary briefs on relevant topics.
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality work with input from senior managers and the broader 3i team.
- Fluency in Khmer and English.
Reports to: the Chief Operating Officer, through the Finance Adviser. Also works closely with the Infrastructure Policy Adviser, 3i
Direct reports: None currently. Other roles may be recruited based on proposed work plans.
Indirect reports: other 3i resources assigned to support delivery of projects, Short Term Advisers and 3rd party consultants (if required to be procured).
- Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia with travel to provinces
- This is a locally engaged staff position.
- Commencement: immediate start, preferably February 2020
- Duration: 1 year contract, with potential for extension.
- Remuneration: Competitive salary and benefits will be offered to the selected candidate, depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply for this position
ESSENTIAL: Applications must include:
- Response against each of the essential and desirable selection criteria.
- Curriculum vitae/resume.
- Name and contact details (phone and email) of three referees.
Applications that do not address all the requirements stated above will not be considered.
For further information about this position
Applications are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference ‘10B – Manager, Renewable Energy Activities’ in the subject line.
Closing date: 20th February 2020, 5.00pm Phnom Penh time. Late applications will not be considered.
Palladium is committed to child protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of our international development programs. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment and may include relevant criminal record checks.
This position is not required to work with or have contact with children.