Investing in Infrastructure
Terms of Reference
Infrastructure Policy Specialist
Investing in Infrastructure is a, nationwide, social investment program funded by the Australian Government, implemented by Palladium. The program has leveraged infrastructure investments of over 80 utility companies in the clean water and electricity sectors by using a unique viability gap financing approach.
3i is preparing to avail its insights to Cambodian institutions. 3i’s experiences provide an opportunity to inform and influence wider infrastructure policy in Cambodia.
Existing policy related activities include support to an inter-agency renewable energy working group and to the Ministry of Industry and Handicraft to assist with the professionalisation of Cambodia’s water sector, along with support to industry-to-industry cooperation between Australia and Cambodia. Over the next years 3i will build on its policy related activities, preparing a solid basis for future engagements between Australian and Cambodia.
3i is seeking an International Infrastructure Policy Specialist to support these new directions for the program, on a 0.8 to full-time basis. This long-term position will drive the identification of and lead broader infrastructure policy support work for DFAT. This may include support for the localisation of Australian Southeast Asia regional infrastructure initiatives and supporting Australian involvement in broader infrastructure investment and policy initiatives as opportunities arise.
- Develop a strong understanding of 3i’s core viability gap financing work, and help 3i to derive and synthesise policy lessons, insights and opportunities from its work
- Establish and maintain high-level relationships with key 3i partner ministry officials
- Coordinate 3i’s infrastructure policy support work with government and private sector partners
- Serve as a single point of contact for DFAT on 3i’s policy support work
- Advise DFAT and support high-level engagement on broader infrastructure policy issues in Cambodia
- Build strong knowledge of, and help corral broader Australian-funded regional and multilateral infrastructure technical assistance programs, ensuring 3i policy activities are well aligned with these
- Ensure strong policy and operational continuity in the event that 3i leadership changes are required as the program winds down its investment focus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A demonstrated ability to analyse and assess the political economy of policy making, and devise effective means by which to inform and influence that.
- Ability to undertake high-level, technical and complex research and analysis, with an ability to produce major/complex reports or studies as required.
- Strong understanding of Cambodian Government systems and practices in the infrastructure sector, or an ability to quickly learn these.
- Strong communication and influencing skills including an ability to prepare and deliver written reports and effective presentations on infrastructure related development issues.
- Experience engaging with senior executives from the public and private sectors on policy and regulatory matters, and the ability to build and maintain strong relationships across government agencies, regulatory agencies and the private sector.
- Be recognised for politically and culturally sensitive and strategic thinking and behaviours
- Experience in or knowledge of the infrastructure development sector in Cambodia and/or the South-East Asian region.
- Prior experience with DFAT Australian aid projects would be an asset.
- Strong team management skills, particularly in a donor context would be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
Qualifications and Education
- Advanced degree, preferably in public policy or administration, or related area.
Adviser Remuneration Framework
Discipline Group C Job Level 3/4, Long Term Adviser (LTA)
More information about the Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF) can be found here:
Reports to: Palladium 3i Project Director and DFAT Program Manager.
Relationships: The specialist will manage and work very closely with a local policy specialist (to be hired); s/he will maintain strong working relationships with DFAT Post, 3i managers and staff, and RGC ministries and regulatory authorities.
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Duration: Initially a 12-month contract will be offered, with possibility of extension
For further information about this position
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference ‘Position #42: Infrastructure Policy Specialist’ in the subject line.
Applications must be made online through http://www.thepalladiumgroup.com/jobs.
Closing date: 18 February 2019, 5.00pm. Late applications will not be considered.
Palladium is committed to child protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of our international development programs.
Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment and may include relevant criminal record checks. This position is not required to work with or have contact with children.